- Interesting articles:
- The Louisiana accent:
- How To Do Standard English Accents
Useful links to a range of standard English accents by Jan Haydn Rowles and Edda Sharpe
- Paul Meier’s www.dialectsarchive.com
The original web-site devoted to accents and dialects and an excellent resource that includes special collections. It also allows you to donate your own voice to the web-site.
- Speech Accent Archive www.accent.gmu.edu/
This site contains a large collection of speech samples from a variety of language backgrounds. In addition to the recordings, there is a standard passage with phonetic transcriptions for most of the speakers that- if you are familiar with the IPA – will allow you to analyse the key sound shifts.
- The BBC’s Sounds of English website is an invaluable resource. In addition to video clips that demonstrate mouth shapes for Standard English Pronunciation, there are related links to English as spoken in a variety of other countries too.
- The British Library has a huge collection of recorded voices and is especially good if you are looking for older, more ‘time-zoned’ dialects.
Irish Accents & Dialects
- Good collection of Irish accents!
- Phonetics links
This resource from the University of Glasgow contains speech samples from a number of dialects including various British Regional and New Zealand. It also allows you to see the movement of the tongue during speech using ultrasound and MRI
- The Scots Language Centre www.scotslanguage.com
A comprehensive resource that includes Scots poetry and song, the history of Scots and sound/video clips of the various dialects.
- Dialects of Scots – Knowledge of language http://www.educationscotland.gov.uk/knowledgeoflanguage/scots/dialects/index.asp
Brief introduction to the dialects of Scots and the value of using and respecting each dialect.
- Glaswegian Dialect –http://www.clyde-valley.com/glasgow/dialect.htm
A fun introduction to “Weegie”
Youtube Clips (worth visiting)
- VIDEOJUG podcasts include short introductions to various dialects by voice coach Gareth Jameson